As a firm believer in all things healthy we know a reset for the New Year is a glorious idea. The concept of ridding your life of the old and setting desires for the future is what dreams are made of. But sometimes it’s a bit tricky getting started on those resolutions. Knowing that 70% of people give up on them in the first month we want to make sure you are realistic and your intensions are clear.
So how do you choose the best New Years Resolutions that you know you are going to conquer? Easy. Follow our MyNurish steps below to make your dreams a reality.
10 Ways to Conquer Your New Years Resolutions
- Set Attainable Goals: The first trick is to set a goal that is realistic. No sense creating some lofty intention that you know you won’t be able to accomplish. You are setting yourself up for failure and we don’t want that! If you are looking to lose weight come January 1st consult an expert such as your doctor or personal trainer to tell you what a good marker should be. Then clean up your diet, start the workouts, and buy some 37 Superfoods+ to add in important nutrients.
- Create a time frame: You need a start and end date or else you will never know if you’ve accomplished a darn thing. Use dates that are meaningful and once again, time frames that are realistic. If you plan on staying up late on the 31st, we’d suggest giving your body a day to rest before revving your engine.
- Be Specific: Most people aren’t even aware if they conquer their goal because they aren’t being specific enough about what they desire. It’s not enough to say, “I want more energy”. Find a way to measure it. Maybe you want to make it through a long day of work with only 1 cup of coffee instead of 6. Perhaps you want to use your weeknights for grocery shopping and to do’s so your weekends are free for fun!
- Ignore the Naysayers: There are always going to be people who don’t believe in you. Who say that whatever you are trying to accomplish isn’t going to happen. These individuals may have tried to crush the same goal in the past and failed. Or maybe they are simply Grumpy Gus’s. Either way, you don’t need to listen to them. If anything, choose to use their words as inspiration. Show them who’s boss!
- Choose Something Meaningful: It’s hard enough to stick with something if it brings us discomfort or changes anything in our routine. So picking a New Years Resolution that isn’t meaningful is like picking out a pair of shoes twice your size. It ain’t going to fit. So choose something that means the world to you. That would be quite life changing if you were to accomplish it. Make it something that you know would bring a huge smile to your face when completed.
- Reward Yourself: Kids aren’t the only ones who need rewards to keep chugging along. As adults, we also rely upon positive reinforcement to continue the path we are headed. But we need to be our own cheerleaders. If you’ve done an amazing job on your diet in the first two weeks, reward yourself with a spa day! You deserve it.
- Try Twinning: It’s much easier to stick to a game plan (especially a diet) when you have someone to hold your hand. If you are looking to drop some LB’s, find a friend who has a similar weight loss goal. Use each other as a resource when you are having a tough time. This person can be your lifeline when you are staring down the barrel of a batch of freshly baked cookies.
- Believe in Yourself: There’s no point choosing something in which you think you won’t succeed. Believe in yourself enough to envision the resolution being completed. Choose a mantra to repeat when you start slipping.
- Use Power Words: What are your power words? These are terms that get you super fired up. Try out, “I’m strong smart and resilient”, if any of those words don’t feel right insert something else. Try words like confident, beautiful, intelligent, hilarious, successful, wealthy, healthy, free, peaceful, or happy.
- Get Back On Track: Everyone has a slip up once in a while. But don’t allow that to stop you from completing your goals. If you made a pact to eliminate gluten from your diet for 30 days and on day 25 you slip and have a crescent roll that called your name, don’t give up. Start the next day refreshed, ready to give it your all.
From all of us at Nurish we support you in your New Years Resolutions. Whatever you desire shall be yours with a little bit of faith, perseverance, and magic.